Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Squash

I've tried squash. Many times. I've tried acorn squash the way my mom likes it- lots of butter and brown sugar. I've tried spaghetti squash as a substitute for pasta (NOTHING takes the place of pasta!). I just don't like squash that way. I like steamed zucchini and yellow squash- I'm good with those. But I bought a squash last week at the pumpkin patch because Peggy said it was the 'least squash-tasting' squash. I cooked it and ate it tonight with butter and salt. It wasn't bad- I'll admit it. Why am I telling you all this? Because I used to make Sawyer's baby food. When he first started eating vegetables, I cooked squash and sweet potatoes and mashed them up for him. All fresh and he loved them- especially the squash. So tonight as I'm preparing my cooked squash, I asked him if he would like some. He politely told me "no thank you mommy." I still put a small piece on his plate, thinking he would perhaps have a change of mind. During dinner, he pointed it out and asked "what's that?" I answered that it was the squash. He said "I no want that- here"- and handed it to me. I informed him that when he was a baby, he ate squash all the time and really liked it. He looked at me very intently and said: "I no baby now mommy. I big boy. I eat that when baby, I no eat that now." I couldn't argue. It was a wonderful explanation and excuse. At least he ate the other vegetables on his plate :)

No comments:

Post a Comment